Chad, Jessica, Jet and Aijiahlyn

Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Weekend in Portland, part 1

Last weekend was my first half marathon.  It was in Hillsboro, so we decided to make a trip out of it.  Everything was perfection.  Honestly, it was just everything we wanted in a little getaway, and looking back, we haven't taken a real "vacation" for a LONG time, as in, actually staying the night somewhere.  It felt so long just being there less than 2 days total.  haha. 

Friday
-drove to hotel late at night, after Chad got off work.  crashed.

Saturday
-woke up early to feed Aijah....who did not go back to sleep, and woke up Jet too. eek.
-Kara picked me up for the half.  SO happy we're in this together.  So much fun!!!!
-Half marathon (nervous, because I didn't follow a training schedule, and I probably tapered too much, and I didn't really know my capabilities...so, I set a goal of 7:50 pace, would be very happy with 7:55, but try for 7:45 at times and see how it feels)
       -1st 3.5 miles, felt sluggish and heavy but kept a good pace.  Felt nice to be running after      tapering...but was wondering it my legs would wake up. 
       -After 3.5 miles, boom, burners were lit!  I was relieved.  Alright, now I feel better.
       -Miles 4-8, got all groovy to songs on my ipod, lip-singing, a little arm-swaying and head-bobbing, enjoyed the country scenery.  Hey, gotta long way to go, better enjoy it before it gets hard.
        -Miles 9-11, starting to count down the distance to go, not enough energy left to be silly singing songs.  Keep telling myself I'm so glad it's not a marathon, and there are only 4, 3, 2, miles left.  Keep pace.  Just keep going.  Must keep going.  
         -Mile 12, Try to distract myself as much as possible with Lady gaga music.  Just 2 more miles.  Just 2 more.  That's nothin', come on.  Huff puff puff.  So done!
         -Mile 13, willpower.  JUST KEEPING GOING>  KEEP PACE.  WANT TO STOP!!!  Wow....I can't believe I'm still going at the right pace.  Looking at my watch A LOT.  Occasional feelings of, "I can do this, but it SUCKS!  So excited to be done."  Keep picturing the finish.  Where is the balloon arch?  Rounding corner after corner.....where is the FRICKIN' BALLOON ARCH???!!!!  Next corner?  NO!  This corner?  No!!!  AHHHhhhh.  Where are Chad and the kids?  Scanning, scanning.....dying, dying.  So CLOSE!  The archway!!! It says, "START"  Huh???  Keep going.  See the screen, 1:43:??  Yay, under 1:45!  Done!  I CAN STOP!!!! I can stop!  I'm done.  I'm done.  OIIIIii yoi yoi!  Water!  Pour over self.  Gotta pee!!!!  Tipsy.  Breathing slowing down.  DONE!  I did it!  7:50 pace, 1:43:15....give or take a few seconds.  Suzi finds me!  YAY!!

To be continued.....gotta get ready for church. 




No comments: