Chad, Jessica, Jet and Aijiahlyn

Saturday, June 1, 2013

A Weekend in Portland, parte dos

Alrighty, a week later.

Let's sum this vacay up!

Race...yay!  (PS, half marathons DO NOT have to be painful.  You can very well have a pleasant 1/2, it just depends on how hard you want to race.  You can do it way more leisurely.  I don't want anyone to be discouraged about doing a race because they think it's miserable.  It is what you make it, and I decided to see just how fast I could go.)

-Hung out with fam, reveling in our gloriousness
-Back to hotel.  SHOWER!  Jet and Chad went in the outdoor pool.  Had a blast.  It was fun hearing them play from the room while I was getting dressed.  Well, I really wanted to jump in too....but why the heck didn't I?  I don't remember.  What an idiot!  I think I may have felt guilty about being sweaty.  Doh!
-Stroll down Alberta St.  SO INSPIRING!  So many cool, urban, hip, funky eateries...honestly, I could go there every morning after a workout, pick-up a little nibble from a diff place every day, and sit in their cute little vignettes, and be in a perfect state of bliss.  Food carts, plant nurseries, tea houses, cool upcycled art.  We ate at a biscuit place, next to a pure white juice cart.  I got some loose teas at the store, we got ice cream from Salt and Straw.  Visiting this street has been fuelling my motivation to work on the house.  I've got a fever!  In a good way!  I want to live on Alberta St.  : )
-Hooked up with Suz and Kara and kids to finally see Suz's apartment in downtown.  17th floor?  27th floor?  Anyway, crazy view from the balcony.  Always wonderful being w/family.
-Checked into a diff hotel.  It was more posh.  Good deal on Expedia.  Clear elevator.  SOooooorelaxing.  Soft bed and pillows, everything FEELING so crisp and fresh.  Floor to ceiling windows, w/a view of downtown.  Chilled out.  Aaaaaaaaaaah.  So nice.
-Caught up w/Kara and the kids to stroll northern downtown shops.  So fun just browsing, found sweet pirate ship chandeliers, pilot goggles, pretty papers for Aijah's rooms, and got 3 fancy desserts to take back to the hotel.
-Dinner at Huber's, the oldest restaurant in Portland....opened around 1897.  Still has a lot of original architecture etc.  Very cool. 
-Hotel veg time.  I put all the boxed dessert delicacies on the bed, and ate bite after bite, savoring all the silkiness, velvetiness, rich chocolate, airy cheesecake.  It was such a perfect moment...ultimate vacation indulgence.  And, I was in my fave pajamas.  Luxury, a bit of gluttony, ultimate comfort and a touch of silliness.  Ah ha ha.
-Goodnight.  Sleep tight.

-All woke up at the same time....so convenient. 
-Hit the zoo, 10 minutes after it opened.  THE PERFECT ZOO TRIP.  It was practically deserted, and the animals were active and close.  We were feet away from cheetahs, cougars, the orangutan, alligator, polar bear, and so many more.
-Downtown food cart block, probably over 25 food carts.  Got Greek food.  Wow!  Gyros!  We likey.
-Toy shop.  Got a fun volcano experimenting kit for Jet, and some planet stuff.  I liked looking at all the girly stuff...haha.  So excited for Aijah to have a kitchen w/fake food someday.  It's so cute!
-Lunch at Kara's.  Hung out and played.  
-Drive home.  Pick up the dogs from the kennel.  

It was such a great vacation!  Oh my goodness.  I'm still inspired from that vacation...and it was really just a weekend.  It actually helped me get out of a slump.  Nothin' major, but it really just kicked that funk right out of me, and replaced it with AWESOMENESS!

I love seeing new places and exploring.  I love enjoying people's creativity with architecture, design, and food.  I love spending time together.  The cool thing is, I honestly feel like I can incorporate a vacation vibe, into my every day life, and do.  But, it's always nice to get work done.  There has to be a balance.  Work hard, play hard, and then relax a bit. 


No comments: